Java vs. VB6?

From: GAB <news3_at_baxnet.net>
Date: 2000/04/26

I've been coding VB6 against MS-SQL for a while. I use 3rd party tools like Sheridan's DataWidgets, ToolBar etc. and it makes for a pretty nice looking app. Works ok with data, we use Ole/DB-ADO.

But ohoh - I went and did it - we made the jump to Oracle 8i. I feel I've just got to. Humor me for a second though -

Oracle claims I can do about everything with their tools, like Java Developer this, Forms maker that, Report coder the other. If I use these Ora tools, am I gonna have to learn Java too? Will I end up coding java anyway sometime in the future? Heck, I see they've even embedded it into the DB now (8i). What about OLE/DB? Is Net8 the only way to connect? How about JDBC? I'm lost...

Do you think I could keep my "old" toolset (the Sheridan stuff) and still code against Oracle using ADO and good ole' VB6?

Apologies in advance for this too-lengthy message, and it's broad nature. But we're sort of at a major crossroads here -

Greg Received on Wed Apr 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT