Re: Setting up monitoring and trending for Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/04/24

At my shop, I set up a two-fold process. First, I have set up an automated reporting system. This system runs from CRON on Unix or AT on NT. It goes to each database and emails a report to me. This lets me get an idea of how each db is doing. Some reports run monthly. Some weekly. And others daily. Second, I have set up a historical db that captures statistics from all other db's on a weekly basis. This way, I can always go back and view historical data such as tablespace growth.

HTH,
Brian

mkc87 wrote:

> I was just recently promoted to the position of Oracle DBA in my company and
> I want to set up a process by which I can monitor and maintain trends for
> the Oracle database that I'm taking care of on WinNT and Unix. I would like
> to get an idea of what other DBA's use in their work environments to monitor
> the database elements like maxextents, free space, table growth and schema.
> I'm currenly using Oracle 7.3.4 and we will be upgrading to Oracle 8.1.5 in
> the next few months. I've been looking at dbTools from Soft Tree and
> believe this is the way to go. What do other DBA's use?

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not