Re: Questions about choosing an Oracle Career.

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/22

        Oracle DBAs have full time careers. Most of the Oracle DBAs I know and know of have little if anything to do with networks (other than the phone and pager numbers of the network administrator) and little, if any, direct involvement in user support - the keyword here being direct.

On 4/21/00, 10:31:16 PM, "Natural Born Cxynic" <NBxC_at_cynic.com> wrote regarding Questions about choosing an Oracle Career.:

> Hi, I am considering choosing an Oracle based career.

> But I am kind of dumbfounded as to existing positions and what to
expect.

> First off, I am a Delphi Programmer with 2 years of experience on a
 Large
> Project
> interfacing with Microsoft SQL server.

> My questions:

> I am considering a career as an Full Time Oracle DBA(junior level
 of
> course)
> and am wondering if DBA's have fulltime careers, or if it is
 specifically
> combined with
> Networking, and User Support??????

> In Addition, I am trying to get away from Applications Development
 within
> Oracle if that
> is possible, but then again may have to go that route.

> Any insights??

> On a Side Note:
> Basically, I can see as that I am getting older, that a DBA type of
 career
> could keep me
> busy and active into my 60's whereas a 'Programming Career' wouldnt
cut it.