Re: Connections to Oracle get slower and slower...

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/21

In article <956268647.17167.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> You don't have the ipc protocol defined in listener.ora
> While it is very unlikely this is the problem, it probably does force
> 'local' connections (on the database server to the database) to use
 tcp/ip
> instead of ipc.
> Add the line
> address= (protocol = ipc)(key=extproc0) to the listener_address block
> the total block will look like
> listener_address =
> (
> (address=(protocol=tcp)(host=) (port=)
> address= (protocol = ipc)(key=extproc0)
> )
>
> I once read a general guideline: 50+ connections implies use MTS.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat_at_elma.fr> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8dnm99$o41$1_at_reader1.imaginet.fr...
> > Hello,
> >
> > We run Oracle 8.0.5 on a NT Enterprise server for a web site.
 Everything
> > except Oracle runs on Linux with *no* problem. Before going to
 production,
> > Oracle behave perfectly. All our db accesses were instantaneous,
 all the
> > time, perfect.
> >
> > Now that we have quite a lot of connections to the site we have a
 strange
> > problem : connection to Oracle is slow. Once connected the queries
 are
 very
> > fast but connect time is going from 2secs to 30 or more seconds.
> >
> > I have seen many time 20seconds to connect from the *LOCAL*
 SQLWorksheet
 or
> > SQL*PLUS, on the same machine as the one Oracle is running on.
> >
> > I've read all the Osborne books about tuning, troubleshooting,
 searched
 the
> > web for an identical problem but nope.
> >
> > I posted a message a few days ago about Oracle hanging with many
> > connections, this is the same problem : connect time.
> >
> > Someone replied with MTS and Connection pooling. I don't know yet
 if that
> > can help (my night will be used for this).
> >
> > I hesitate between trying to fix this problem (which seems VERY
 simple) or
> > reinstalling on a Linux box.
> >
> > Memory is underemployed (300megs unused). The databases are very
 small and
> > it doesn't look like a SQL problem.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

This is the same sympton that the otrace bug cause on ver 7.3. Since you are ver 8.0.5 I doubt this is your problem, but it may be worth checking to make sure you .dat files under $ORACLE_HOME/otrace are under 2M in size. We also ran into the problem with sqlnet itself and found a large growing .dat file in our $TNS_ADMIN directory that we had to remove and add a parameter to our listener.ora file to disable otrace. The parameter is something like EPC_DISABLED=TRUE. If you find the .dat file you can contact support or repost with the problem to get the correct parameter.

Good luck.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.