Re: Table Locking Problem

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/20

In article <1SrL4.4736$E4.9913_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,   "Graeme Farmer" <g_farmer_at_halas.com.au> wrote:
> But surely if ORACLE was busy performing these operations I would see
 at
> least some CPU activity.
> A lack of disk activity I can understand to a certain extent, but
 there was
> no CPU activity for 15 mins which is what lead me to rather drastic
> measures.
> I have heard that shutdown immediate has been known to take a number
 of
> hours and concur that it was probably not wise to do this (it was
 probably
> not wise to kill the user session in the first place!).
>
> Mark D Powell wrote in message <8dkflq$j8s$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >I think it is the process monitor, pmon, which does the clean-up. As
> >for as to why Oracle took so long to shut down when it appeared to be
> >doing nothing after the shutdown immediate was issued I belive this
 is
> >what happens:
> >1 - you issue shutdown immediate
> >2 - Oralce startes terminating and rolling back all in-process
> >transactions plus it refuses new connection requstes
> >3 - Completed transactions that are transmitting data continue to
> >transmit
> >
> >I do not know the exact details of what qualifies under item 3 but
> >there are certain types of activies that Oracle waits to complete on
> >shutdown immediate. I am not sure where you can find this in the
> >manuals as the DBA Admin does not list this fact, but it is in the
> >student notes in one of the Oracle DBA classes.
> >
> >In article <38FD6B74.A6174725_at_hotmail.com>,
> > s_c_99_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> >> Graeme, Mark
> >>
> >> As per my understanding:- when you kill a process
> >> its status appear to be as killed but the process is
> >> actually cleaned by SMON. SMON cleans up processes at
> >> regular intervals (which is around 3 minutes).
> >> Cant remember the parameter that sets smon timings (if any).
> >>
> >> you can perhaps try to write some shell script in unix
> >> that will trigger smon process thereby clearing up the process.
> >>
> >> s_c_99_at_hotmail.com

 and
 it was

 was
 doing
> >--
> >Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
> > you follow so follow your own advice --

It is possible that the shutdown immediate hung for some reason. Generally speaking shutdown immediate is the best way to stop your database. A normal shutdown waits for all users to disconnect which never happens, shutdown transactional [sp] waits for more things to finish than immediate, and abort is the last option. If you perform a shutdown immediate and it has not completed in five to ten minutes then you can open another svrmgrl session and issue the abort command.

We always use immediate and normally our busy databases stop in 30 seconds to five minutes.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.