Re: NET 8 problem

From: Juhan Kundla <juhan_at_ensib.ee.NICHT.SPAM>
Date: 2000/04/19

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:37:14 +0100, "Currency Solutions"
> <jcockerell_at_currencysolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >I have install Oracle client 8.0.4 client on a Pc. This Pc is a celeron 400,
> >32 Mb with NT workstation 4.0, SP6 , IE5.01, Virtual machine Java. The
> >installation of oracle seems to be ok and I reboot the workstation.
> >Then I try to configure the NET 8 for a new service. After clicking on Net
> >8 icon, I have an access violation on java.exe . But I can access to SQL
> >Plus 8.0....
> >I don t know where the problem could come from. ( ODBC, Configuration of
> >Java , not enough memory...)
> >I am waiting for any idea about that.
> >Thanks for your help.
> >

> Without any doubt memory. 32Mb is way too little for an Oracle client,
> especially when you are using Java, which is VERY memory hungry.
>
> Upgrade to 64 or even 128 Mb. Please run performance monitor to see
> how much memory you are currently using and you will be astonished.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Well, I doubt, that this is a memory issue, although 32 MB is not overwhelmingly lot of memory. Try to increase the size of pagefile. In our organization there are about 500 Oracle 8.0.5 client computers rangeing from 486 to PII with memory between 16 to 64 MB (Win NT 4.0 and Win '95). It was my job to install all those Oracle clients and I got all of them working -- client on 486 with 32 MB is painfully slow, but it runs. My point is, that those configuration tools seem to crash for lot's of reasons -- syntax errors in configuration files, "wrong" screen resolution or color depth or god knows what else. My advise to you is: go directly to configuration files and edit them with texteditor (a la notepad). The syntax is really easy to learn and you save a lot of time and have less headaches that way.

Juhan Received on Wed Apr 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT