Technical OCI Question

From: Sam Habbab <sam_at_hasc.com>
Date: 2000/04/17

Hi,

I'm calling a stored procedure from my C program. At first everything works fine, but since I need to pass a varargs to my procedure I had to create a table, then insert key-value pairs into the table. Then I would pass the table as the only parameter to my procedure.

This means that instead of having one call: execute procedureX(parameter);

now I have the following:

declare

   table tableType;
begin

   table(1).key := 'key1';
   table(1).value := 'value1';
   table(2).key := 'key2';
   table(2).value := 'value2';

   .... other parameter setting.
   procedureX(table);
end;

Q1- Is there any other way to pass unlimited number of arguments without having to declare the function with tons of parameters (with DEFAULT value)?

Q2- Would calling a block of code like that create any extra network traffic? I.E.: Would the oracle oci pass the entire block to the database to be executed, or would it simply execute one line at a time?

Thanks a lot in advance.

S_at_M. Received on Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT