Re: Connecting to Personal Oracle 8 on Windows95

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/04/17

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:55:20 +0100, "Bryan A." <B.Acklam-SPAM-_at_BTInternet.com> wrote:

>Whenever I attempt to connect to the Database I get the Dial-Up Adapter
>connection Window, if I click on Cancel then the Oracle client tool connects
>to the database without any problem.
>
>How do I configure the client to prevent the Dial-Up Adapter from attempting
>to connect when I only want to connect to the database on my local server ?

I've run into this problem before. Here's what to do:

  1. Right-click on Internet Explorer (who would ever guess, right?) and select Properties from the popup menu.
  2. Click the Connections tab.
  3. You should see a group of three radio buttons in the middle of the screen. Do you have the "Always dial my default connection" box checked? That's likely to be the problem. Change it so that the "Never dial a connection" button is checked, and then hit the OK button. Your Oracle connections should no longer cause your dial-up adapter to open. However, you'll be forced to manually initiate dial-up networking connections when you do want them.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT