Re: problems with ODBC to Oracle 8.1.5

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/04/16

The 8i client is not supported by Microsoft. Support will be added in the future, but for now you must use the 8.0.5.x or prior client when working with the Microsoft client stack.

As to ODBC vs. OLE DB with ADO - under load in a multithreaded  client, the ODBC driver (via the OLE DB Provider for ODBC) still provides both better performance and stability than the OLE DB provider. For traditional client/ server architectures, both provide roughly the same behavioral characteristics.

Mike