Re: Learning oracle question

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/15

In article <38F7CE70.639E29FA_at_home.com>,   bob sullivan <bsullivn_at_home.com> wrote:
> Karl's assessment seems very on-target to me. It can be difficult
> and more than a bit daunting when you're trying to break into the
> Oracle field, but once you're in, there's great demand. It seems
> like for junior positions, most employers want at least 2 years of
> experience with Oracle, but how do you break in in the first place
> to get the 2 years? Catch-22.
>
> If you're considering a choice in career paths between database
> stuff and network stuff, you should ask yourself the question:
> which do you enjoy more? It seems to me that both paths demand
> that you enjoy solving problems, or at least can live with
> solving problems 40+ hours a week. (If you absolutely *hate*
> solving technical problems, you really want to think about doing
> something else for a living...) To be honest, when I was pursuing
> my bachelor's degree in computer science, I spent the first three
> years of it wondering why the heck I was doing it--all the
> programming was in C++, and I really didn't enjoy it at all. It
> wasn't until I started studying relational databases that I
> discovered an area of computer science that I really loved and
> enjoyed.
>
> All of this is rather a roundabout way of saying: if you enjoyed
> in your studies the network stuff more than the database stuff,
> go for the network certification. If you enjoyed the database
> stuff more, follow Karl's advice.

To get a job in the computer industry, you generally need a degree. It does not have to be a B.S. in Computer Science, but you need a degree to get in the door. If you have an Associates degree that is probably good enough these days. If you can obtain industry recognized certifications of any kind these would help you to show a potential employer that you have the basic abilities necessary to succeed. But many of the certifications are very difficult for an unexperienced person.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.