Re: ologof() hang on Linux?

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 2000/04/14

John Jensen <jjens_at_primenet.com> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I've been looking at a hang in my Oracle 8.1.5 on Linux (RH 6.1). I have
> some apps that use Oracle7 OCI calls. They use orlon() to get in and
> ologof() to get out. I think the apps that make a single login are OK.
> The apps that make multple logins are hanging in ologof(), spining,
> consuming CPU. The stack trace shows the loop taking place deep in
> libclntsh, in the routine sntpclose().
>
> I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Yes. You need to properly close the connections explicitly; don't rely on any gabage collection to do it for you. You also might want to consider using multiple cursors instead of multiple database connections (although may need multiple connections in certain circumstances).

One of my apps worked just great under Oracle7/AIX but died like this on 8i/Linux -- correctly closing the database handlers fixed it.

Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai_at_isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink@inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block