Re: Manipulate Oracle with Access97

From: Pedro Gil <pmpg_NOSPAM_98_at_netc.pt>
Date: 2000/04/12

Hi Phil,

Well not supid question, and even after I read the post I've made to you I notice a thing that is not correct, I should have mentioned that you are trying to use the DAO ODBC and that I was posting a ADO OLEDB example.

Well ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) is a international standard for manipulating data, OLEDB is the specification that Microsoft is trying to implement to somehow replace the ODBC specification.

ADO is the object model that MS implements to manipulate the data from OLEDB. BTW there is a OLEDB for ODBC :-)

Well I think this is the best I can do explaining this... maybe some search at the MS site could give you more info.

Look at this examples of connecting to Oracle with ADO and ODBC Sub SimpleTestWithConnection()
Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim strConnect As String

  Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection

  'Using the DSN and the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" 2.753.4202.00 (MSORCL32.DLL)
  'strConnect = "DSN=Oracle_ODBC25_test;UID=Form7;PWD=Form7;"

  'Using a DSN-Less and the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" 2.753.4202.00 (MSORCL32.DLL)
  'The SERVER parameter is the Alias defined at Tnsnames.ora   'strConnect = "DRIVER={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};UID=Form7;PWD=Form7;SERVER=Testes;"

  With cnn
    .ConnectionString = strConnect
    .Open
  End With
  MsgBox cnn.State & " - " & cnn.Version

  'Clean Up
  cnn.Close
  Set cnn = Nothing
End Sub

Just uncoment the DSN or DSN-less strConnect.

hth
Pedro Gil