Re: Why export has conventional path?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/04/10

"Adam Roze" <arz_at_royalpbk.com> wrote in message news:38F19C59.E90F5660_at_royalpbk.com...

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > The direct export mode reads directly from the database, it doesn't
 issue
> > ordinary selects.
> > Hence, it doesn't use the normal read consistency model. I'm not going
> > bet how many administrators run a direct export on a database with other
> > users connected! Actually, the only way to get a correct full database
> > export is to kick everyone out and make sure the database is in
 restricted
> > session.
> > The risk of running an export in direct mode is getting an inconsistent
> > export, if you don't kick everyone out. It is the same as creating a
 backup,
> > storing the tape in the same room as the server, and never test the
 recovery
> > scenario. (Don't think this doesn't happen, it does)
>
> Direct export can create consistent backup. Add consistent=y in the
 parfile.
> (and warn users that they are working at their own risk ;-)
>
> Adam

Untrue. An export doesn't create a backup (by which I understand a _physical_ not a _logical_ copy of the database), and it can by design not be consistent as direct bypasses the sql layer. IMO using consistent and direct is nonsense (you can use direct and buffer parameters, though they are mutually exclusive and the buffer parameter is simply ignored)

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Apr 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT