Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/04/08

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000 09:39:18 +0000, DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> wrote:

>Face facts, SQL Server cannot scale in the Age of the Internet. MS
>rejected JAVA and now have no Enterprise quality offering for middleware
>software development. (DNA / COM / DCOM / VB / OLE / DDE - it's all the
>same rubbish, just repackaged and rebranded from time to time).

You missed all the other interim "flavours". At one stage, I was counting two every 6 months. Cripes, if anyone had been dilly enough to commit to any of them, they'd still be in the learning curve of the second one....

Mind you, that WSH stuff for NT/2K/W98 is lean and mean. I like it. A LOT! It's the only truly new, good and usable thing to come out of Redmond for many a year.

ORACLE would do well to expose an interface to it, properly documented. I've used it to extend Designer2000 to open all the Word/Excel/etc. doco for every single design element in my repository. It works and works very well. With a proper interface to a real database, I'd make it sing and brew coffee at the same time!

Don't worry, MS will soon "dedicate" it to VB instead of keeping it open with Javascript. Then it will become unusable...

>Marketing takes precendence over substance at MS --

A-yup! Unfortunately. They have some very good stuff. Unfortunately, their own marketing people are too stupid to take full advantage of it. Instead of doing marketing, they do PR...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Apr 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT