Re: Replicating Oracle data

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/04/08

Anders Gustafsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Assume that I want to replicate data from one Oracle Database to
> another, what would be the easiest way to accomplish this?
>
> What I need is a copy of an entire db or a subset, for readonly
> purposes. Should I write a Java program to do this or are there any
> readymade Oracle tools for this?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE, ASE
> NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
> Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
> Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Win95

        Add an entry to your TNSNAMES.ORA file with the IP address of the system where the source database is located. You can give it any alias you like. For this example assume it is SOURCEDB.

	CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK link_name
	CONNECT TO user IDENTIFIED BY password
	using 'SOURCEDB';

	SELECT * FROM table_at_SOURCEDB;

	If you plan on copying a large number of tables you can write a
SQL script to generate SQL scripts to do it and then edit the resulting script.

        You can also find scripts on the web that will generate the DDL for an Oracle instance. Offhand I am not sure where == but I think you will find one on Thomas Kytes site. Use it to generate the DDL so that you can recreate the indexes, grants, etc.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one