Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/04/08

On 7 Apr 2000 15:19:37 GMT, Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk> wrote:

>In comp.databases.sybase Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote:
>
>> As I said: get a copy of ORACLE, and check out how MS's claim that row
>> locking slows down large updates is totally FALSE. Don't confuse MS's
>> crap implementation of row locking with what can be done. And has
>> been done in ORACLE.
>
>I have tested out the update benchmark in my NT with Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase, DB2 and Informix. I don't have CA Ingres on NT. I found that ASE updates table very fast. I think Adaptive Server uses in-place direct update technique. I don't know if it is related to locking.

Again you miss the point, Norris.
It's NOT the speed, it's WHAT HAPPENS when two, three,etc users update and read off the same table at the same time. Same rows, different rows, etc,etc. It's really not that hard to setup and test.

But then again, you missed the point a long time ago. Why am I bothering. Bye.

Cheers
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Apr 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT