How can I avoid the "Single row subquery returns more than one row" message

From: Andy <abruskoNOabSPAM_at_binney-smith.com.invalid>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 09:07:39 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to do a simple (hopefully) join between 2 tables and use a column in table 2 to update table 1. The problem is that my subquery is returning multiple rows. Is there a way to force the first match to be used by default to avoid the "multiple rows" situation, or any other way around this problem? Hope this makes sense...the query that is having the problem is here:

Update Frt.Mpay_working a

   Set shipper_city =

      (Select b.city from Frt.cities b
      where a.shipfrom = b.shipto);

Thanks alot for your help...appreciate it! Andy