Why so much slowness in OLEDB Provider vs. ODBC?

From: Ken Sproule <kenmn_at_tds.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 13:41:34 GMT

Thanks for helping..

There is a section of code that is baffling regarding performance. The same code is used with the only difference being the use of Oracle's OLEDB Provider vs. Microsoft's ODBC Provider with their ODBC driver. Eeven using Oracle's ODBC driver we have a remarkable faster execution time than using OLEDB.

In a C++ program using ADO, here's the pseudo-code:

begin transaction;
loop
ado.AddNew;
stuff column values
ado.UpDate
end loop;
commit;

There are about 15,000 records being inserted into an Oracle table. One notable characteristic of the problem is that using OLEDB the rate of insertions is fast in the beginning and slows to a crawl over time, whereas using ODBC the insertion rate remains apparently constant. Time for completion is:

ODBC	-	2 minutes
OLEDB	-	24 minutes.

That's a rather remarkable difference. I am assuming I'm not doing something correctly using OLEDB.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Best,

Ken Sproule
kenmn_at_tds.net

Ken Sproule
kenmn_at_tds.net Received on Fri Apr 07 2000 - 08:41:34 CDT