Re: Migration from SQL-Server 7.0

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:41:27 GMT

In article <38EB722D.D78D3885_at_justbooks.de>,   Ursula =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=F6wekamp?= <ursula.roewekamp_at_justbooks.de> wrote:
> Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
> --------------937C1B47EEF2CAE2C84E4913
>
> Hi,
>
> we are planning to migrate from SQL-Server 7.0 under WinNT to Oracle
> under Unix.
>
> Anybody knows what kind of problems we have to face and what kind of
> help Oracle provides for this task.
>
> MS does not even mention the topic ;-))
>
> Thanx for any hint
>
> Ursula
>
> --
> JustBooks - Der Marktplatz für antiquarische und gebrauchte Bücher
>
> JustBooks.de GmbH phone: 0211-7117069-26
> Ronsdorfer Str. 77a fax: 0211-7117069-19
> 40233 Düsseldorf Email:
> ursula.roewekamp_at_justbooks.de
>
> www.justbooks.de --- Second hand. First site.

I have never worked with SQL-Server but I have migrated data from a main frame and your best bet is to extract the data into simple flat files with fixed position data, ftp the files over, and then to use either Oracle sqlldr utility or a pro*c (or any other pro language) program to insert the data.

You can also use ODBC to access the data and ship it via sql*net (net8) directly over to Oracle, but I like to use flat files. They provide better restart and correctability where logic or editing need to be applied.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 15:41:27 CDT