Re: Oracle 8i Personal Edition

From: Bo Seiffert <fox61_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 06:33:37 GMT

Assuming that you are using Personal edition 8i on a Windows stand alone machine. You don't need Net8 connections for connecting with the supplied Sqlplus. Sqlplus will connect without the database connect string whne you are connecting to the local database.  For connection with for instance Developer 1.6 or 2.x you will need to set up a TNS connection. See the below cut and paste from a post of mine.
--
Let me answer the question myself, as I've seen a lot have had the same problem.
It seems that the problem is that PE 8.1.5 SQLPLUS don't need a database connect string when connecting to the local database on a stand alone setup, but Developer (1.6) does need. On Oracle.com there is a paper describing the scenario, but for Dev. 2.x, but it's the same issue for Dev. 1.6. Here it comes (cut&paste) from oracle.com:   Developer 2.x & Oracle8i Personal Edition on Win98 The following will need to be done to establish a connection from Developer 2.1 or 2.0 to Oracle8i on Windows 98 or NT. Install Oracle8i. Default Oracle_Home is as follows: (oracle/ora81) Install Developer into a separate Oracle_Home from the 8i database. Default Oracle_Home:
Windows NT: ORANT
Windows 98: ORAWIN95
Create a SQL*Net alias using the SQL*Net Easy config utility (start -> programs -> Oracle for Windows NT -> SQL*Net Easy Config) Enter the following information:
Select "Create"
Name the alias - any name can be used.
Select TCP/IP as the protocol adapter
Enter your PC host name as your host
Select the second radio button to change your database instance to equal the SID created during your 8i installation or leave the default as ORCL.
Bypass the test and remaining screens by clicking next Reboot your PC
If your services are set to automatic then both your database and you listener service will automatically start upon bootup: OracleService<yourSIDname>
OracleOraHome81TNSListener
Start Oracle Developer:
(close the data block wizard)
Start forms builder (start -> programs -> Developer/2000 -> Forms Builder)
file -> connect
At the login screen type the following:

username: system
password: manager
database: (enter the alias you created with the SQL*Net Easy Config) --

--
Bo Seiffert
Somewhere in Denmark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 01:33:37 CDT