Re: How to OPEN RESETLOGS when not recovering?

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:55:27 GMT

In article <8bo1s5$8uf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote:
..
>I shutdown the database and did a full backup
>of all the files.
>
>I wanted to OPEN RESETLOGS and whack all the
>archived redo information.

Not sure what you mean by "Whack." If you wanted to be able to remove the archived redo logs without harming your ability to recover the database, you achieved that when you did the cold backup (assuming you did not need to recover to a point in time prior to the cold backup).

If you want to copy the archived redo logs offline (on tape for example) and remove the disk copies of them, you can do that as soon as you have shut down the database. For that matter, you could do it sooner (several times a day for example if you don't have enough room to keep a day's worth on disk) provided you are careful not to copy an archived redo log that is in the act of being written by the archive log writer.

The archived redo logs are tied to the database by their low and high System Change Numbers (SCNs) and by the checkpoint number. There is no way to "whack" this relationship, and if there were, it would destroy your ability to apply the logs during a recovery.

>In svrmgrl, I did:
>
>connect internal
>alter database open resetlogs
>but got the error:
>ORA-01139: RESETLOGS option only valid after an incomplete database
>recovery

If you recover a database and don't bring it up to current (or you rebuild the controlfile so Oracle doesn't know when "current" is) you open the database this way to tell Oracle you now want the incomplete state of recovery to be considered the current state. You didn't recover the database, so the option is not appropriate in your case.

>Trying the command:
>alter database recover database
>gave:
>ORA-00283: Recovery session canceled due to errors
>ORA-00264: no recovery required

You didn't restore anything, so there is nothing to recover.

>What do I need to do, to reset the archiving to the beginning?
If by beginning you mean System Change Number 1, I'm pretty sure you don't really want to do that. It sounds like you want to have a set of archived redo logs for each interval between cold backups that does not include any earlier logs. You can do this by removing the logs from the system while the database is shutdown for your cold backup.

Backup and recovery are topics which you should fully master before you need them. Rather than asking questions here and getting incomplete ideas of how it works, please invest in a class.

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa