Newbie questions

From: Peter Morris <morrispj_at_lineone.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:12:50 +0100

Hello ORACLE experts.

    We are just about to migrate a database from Informix to ORACLE, and I need some advice on the following points.

Question 1)
 I have installed T.O.A.D. on my PC, and tried to run it. Whenever I try to establish a connection to a database, I get back the message: "could not resolve service name" Nobody here knows what that means.

Also, when I click on the SQL*Net Help button it displays :

Oracle root

|---Has no Oracle_Home key
|---Oracle Root is NOT valid

How should these be set?

Question 2)
Can anyone give me information on Dynamic PL/SQL. I have seen only one example, and I don't understand the syntax.

Question 3)
I need to migrate some Stored Procedures which select multiple rows from the database, and return them to the calling program. How do I do this? I have seen no examples of such. I have seen examples of multiple rows selected an written to the screen using DBMS_OUTPUT. I have also seen examples of single values returned as the RETURN value of a function, or in OUT parameters, but no examples of what I want. Received on Mon Apr 03 2000 - 10:12:50 CDT