Re: OAS/Database ORACLE_HOME compatabilities and related issues

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:59:04 GMT

    I have 4.0.7.1, 8.1.5 and OEM 2.0.4 on one machine. A friend has a = similar setup with 4.0.8.1. You do have to install these products into = separate Oracle homes which means three sets of tnsnames.ora etc. I'm = not sure what the book says for NT, but the only thing I did was to make = sure the products installed into differently named directories.

    256M of RAM isn't really enough to use these three products = seriously. OAS is quite a memory hog, so I'd put that one on its own = machine at 512M if possible.
  Al Sherman <tnhsw_at_mlode.com> wrote in message = news:38E55687.4FF41EF0_at_mlode.com...

    The OAS 4.0.8.1 Release Notes (release.html) say that the 8.1.5 = database and OAS 4.0.8.1

    "must not be installed on the same NT machine".     The OAS 4.0.8.1 Installation Guide (the PDF file) has a section = discussing "Using Separate

    ORACLE_HOMEs" on pages 3-5ff. This would seem to (possibly?) imply = that both OAS and

    the database can be run on the same NT machine.

    I have a 300MH Pentium II with 256MB of RAM. I'm running NT = Workstation 4.0, Service

    Pack 5, Build 1381.

    Questions:

    a.. Can I install OAS 4.0.8.1 on my NT system, given that I've = already installed both the Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition (including the = database server, etc.) and the Oracle Enterprise Manager software?

    b.. If its OK to install OAS 4.0.8.1 on my NT system, given the = other Oracle products that I've already installed, is it appropriate to = follow the instructions for "Using Separate ORACLE_HOMEs" in the = Installation Guide, or are there other more current recommendations?

    c.. On a more subjective note: if it were your system, which of the = following would you choose to do, with the objective being to build a = "complete" Oracle development environment:

      a.. purchase an additional PC and set OAS up on the new system
      b.. set OAS up on the existing system and have OAS and the =
database both serviced by a single NT machine

    Thanks ever so much for your help - I really appreciate it!

                        Sincerely Yours,

                        Al Sherman