Easy question on LONG fields

From: Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 21:36:18 GMT

I am trying to optimize our design and hopefully have a simple question. What are the performance "drains" on doing a query on a LONG field? The design of the record can either be:

A   VARCHAR2(2000)
B   VARCHAR2(2000)
C   VARCHAR2(2000)

Or I can make it:
A LONG I do understand the restrictions I put on myself when I design the first way and see the benefits of having it in a LONG.

I hear on the newsgroups occasionally about the overhead incurred on a LONG. Can anyone speak to that?

Thanks for the help. (and apologies for the simplicity of the question)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Apr 02 2000 - 16:36:18 CDT