European Characters

From: Ian Buzer <ianbNOiaSPAM_at_coolbop.demon.co.uk.invalid>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 06:16:19 -0800

Hi,

I'm currently working on a database that contains translations to english phrases in a number of different European languages.

For the column containing the translations, do I need nvarchar2 to cope with characters such as é ê ã Ö etc?

It seems to be hanging together OK at the moment with the [web] application, but if I export the table data using TOAD, all the extended characters end up as squares, which kinda makes me nervous that they are going to get lost somewhere along the line.

I'm using Oracle 7.3.4

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Ian