Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/03/31

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:23:11 GMT, jahorsch_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>SQL Server cannot chain in 7.0.

Really? Doesn't it store data on pages anymore?

> The page size is now 8K.

Yeah, but still fixed.

> So how can
>you change a datatypes physical space requirement in Oracle without
>increasing the rowsize?

Offline, I said. I'm not about to give technical info for free. There are heaps of lurkers in these newsgroups who contribute nothing and suck all. I don't mind the odd direct line to anyone interested in more detail, but lurkers can go jump in the lake. I'll give you a hint: read again the conditions I described.

>I think that MS is cheaper when it comes to hardware and software and
>since it is easier to admin it MAY take fewer bodies for that piece.

Nope. MS is not easier to admin. sql server MAY be easier to admin, mostly because it doesn't allow the finer control that ORACLE does. No detail, less complexity. Less flexibility too. That doesn't make MS solutions (as a whole) easier to admin. As for NT being easier to admin than Unix, that is one of the greatest fallacies of this industry. I've done both, and they are equally complex to admin and maintain. In some special cases, I'd qualify NTas actually harder. GUI doesn't mean simple.

>The hardware and software cost may be smaller depending if you can use
>the Enterprise licensing agreement aleardy established with a larger
>company. If that cost is already eaten then $400 bucks a server is
>pretty damn cheap plus hardware depending on the project and failover
>need can range from $35K to $200K. You can maybe toss in better disk
>if you already have the infrastructure inside of those cost ranges and
>do hot backups using bcv's. This is assuming only a 100GB or so disk
>capacity needed.

Too many if's and assumptions. If the wind is blowing from the right direction and the moon is in the right phase, anything can be achieved. And once we go to the field of EMC's and bcv's, that completely levels the field: EMC is external to NT and MS and all its features can be used as well with UNIX, for the same price. So including ANY feature of an EMC as an advantage whatsoever of NT and MS is fundamentally incorrect.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Fri Mar 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CST