Re: referencing objects

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:44:04 GMT

"Craig Orson Oakland (COO I)" <dotacion.nospam_at_st-helena.zzn.com> wrote in message news:8c00rm$oeq_at_gap.cco.caltech.edu...
> Sounds like you want to utilise synonyms.

Hmm. And sounds like someone should tell him that to do so is to court performance disaster. Big no-no.

As with much else functionality in Oracle 8, public synonyms are a great way for lazy DBAs to avoid having to stretch their legs. The consequences, however, are a more sluggishly performing system, and also a system that potentially behaves in ways that were not expected.

HJR