funny characters in MS Access ODBC linked tables

From: daveatkins <da_at_realcommunities.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:37:12 GMT

I have been using Microsoft Access 2000 (and 97 on another machine) to access an Oracle 8 database. I installed Oracle Client tools and am using the latest Oracle ODBC driver (Not Microsoft for Oracle driver). Once I link in my oracle tables, I can use Access to create data entry forms and manipulate the data.

My only problem is that for character fields (I think only LONGs), the return character is often replaced by a special character that windows does not understand and renders as a square box. Other characters like tabs are similarly displayed. I have to copy the field into a text editor, global replace, edit and paste back into Access.

I'm thinking this is some unix thing--the oracle database is on a Solaris box and these fields are also manipulated by a web application. Has anyone encountered this problem and what is the solution? Thanks in advance!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 11:37:12 CST