net8 assistant prevent removing service name/mlml

From: Michel Lee <ae299_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 30 Mar 2000 02:07:28 GMT

Hi,

I am using Oracle 8.0.5 on RedHat 6.0,
Oracle8 client on Windows 95,
I am also using Oracle Names.

How do I prevent people from using their Net8 Assistant client to DELETE oracle names service names? All they do is use NET8 Assistant, click on their Oracle Names Server / Manage Data / Remove service name and presto!, the service name is removed from the server. No password is asked.
They can even stop the Oracle names server.

I tried almost everything, including adding

        names.password=D4DF7931AB130E37
to names.ora in the server.
This will cause namesctl (in server) and namesctl80 (in client) to ask for password, but not NET8 Assistant. Also I dont understand the names.password parameter, now do I generate the password text?

I have looked high and low for this solution. thx for yr help

Mike

--

   /             www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ae299        /---\  \  \ \\   \   \