SVRMGR Errors

From: Alan C. Byrd <alan.byrd_at_media.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:49:01 -0800

When at the prompt of svrmgr> I type startup open <orasid>, but I am returned the error of Unable to attach to shared memory; permission denied.

Any clues on how to get permission so that I can start the database? I have 5 manuals here on installation and administration. I have followed them to the letter, but still no luck.

Please Help!!