Re: TNSNAMES, LISTENER, ORA-12154, Create New DB problems

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:07:28 GMT

HI,

Thanks for responding.
I did manage to find the syntax error last night after all.

Actually, I am pretty thorough. It sometimes drives others nuts. I read as much as I can, talk to people who have experience, and read and post on the newsgroups.

Then, I make a big tasklist for my plan of attack. I think through it to see if I missed anything. When I do the task, I cut and paste the commands. And paste the results back. I can tell you EXACTLY what I did and what the result was.

Yet, I still get surprises. The CREATE DATABASE documentation refers you to only to other commands, and the STARTUP, and SHUTDOWN command.

Regards,

Argosy

> I don't know how your listener.ora looks like now, but from your
previous
> post it is incorrect
>
> It should be
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = ntst1)
> )
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = ltfd1)
> )
> )
>
> And you are lacking the line ORACLE_HOME = <directory name>
> in both cases.
> Exporting the ORACLE_SID on Unix bypasses sqlnet, so that's why that
method
> work.
>
> I'm getting a bit sad about a day of > 12 hr. Did you ever consult
> documentation and/or use the network manager (instead of net easy
config).
> Your problems most likely would have been resolved long ago. It is
not THAT
> difficult. Don't want to be harsh on you, don't get me wrong. In the
past I
> usually started with the 'trial and error' method instead of reading
> documentation, and my employer usually didn't want to pay $$ for
courses.
> However, most likely they will pay themselves back instanteanously.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 15:07:28 CST