Re: date

From: Dave Larkins <davidl_at_mint.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:40:14 -0500

Sybrand,

Well, I may not be quite as long in the tooth as you , but I have sufficient experience to understand the why's and wherefores of the software business. (Un)Fortunately, I have no experience of Oracle and little of SQL because I have not needed them up to the present. Fate has recently dealt me a surprise Oracle card and I have to visit for a very brief period and then go on to other things. I live and work in the forest, many miles from any technological center (>300) and have zero contact with technological peers. Because of this, I sometimes have to embarass myself and ask dumb questions in a very public forum. You have apparently latched onto this and are enjoying yourself delivering arrogant advisories about how us lazy young starters (I was actually a very early Usenet user when I lived in California) are too incompetent to become DBAs etc. Now please read the following: I am not a DBA, I do not wish to become a DBA, I respect the expertise of effective DBAs, especially when they help dummies like me. Following this, please get off my case.....

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:954337532.24875.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> Come on, sysdate and dual are in the SQL Language manual. I know more and
> more people are entrusted with DBA duties before they know anything about
> Oracle, and usually the first thing they do is posting to usenet. No
support
> contracts, no courses, no nothing.
> In the time I started with Oracle, there was no Internet, no Usenet, so
> basically I had to find it all out of my own. At least it made me LEARN
> something.
> And yes the laziness of current starters sometimes irates me, I admit.
Rest