Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Tim Uckun <Malcontent_at_msgto.com>
Date: 2000/03/28

> I cannot belive the bias that everyone has. Has anyone actually run
> SQL Server 7.0? Even if you did you may not know the proper tuning

I think everybody has biases of one sort or another. The resistance you see towards SQL server is a typical response. In order that it might provide some insight here are my reasons for rejecting SQL server in my quest to migrate my access application. BTW I am a long time access developer and a very adept system administrator in NT environments.

SQL server is dependent on NT. In my years of dealing with NT the one thing I have learned is that I would not trust NT to a 24X7 environment. I find that dealing with NT is an endless series of frustrations and disappointments.

Microsoft therefore NT therefore SQL server does not play nice with other peoples products. If you commit to SQL server you also commit wholeheartedly to using nothing but microsft product for the rest of your needs. No java no apache no php nothing except VB/VC IIS ASP. I want more freedom then that I want to choose what language I want to use. I want to choose what operating system to use.

I have been involved in the computer industry in one way or another since 1980. In all my years working in this industry I have not one positive tech support experience with MS. Not as a consultant, not as a technician, not as an end user not even when I paid for "gold" services. They really need to start treating their customers better.

MS puts you on a forced upgrade path. MS will not fix bugs in older versions of their software nor will they support them. When you buy SQL server you are really commiting to a two year license and that's all. After the new one comes out you must upgrade or live with whatever bugs may be present at that time. Every support call will be answered by "why don't you upgrade?"

Finally. When you buy an enterprise level database you are in effect marrying that company. Your entire business will be dependent on this product. MS has habit of screwing every company they have ever partnered with. I can not think of one company that MS has formed a alliance with that did not get the short end of the stick. Unless MS is going to buy you outright I would not trust them as a partner.

MS is like a junky that we are enabling. It lies constantly promising that this time things are going to be different but in the end it still breaks into your wallet and steals you hard earned money to buy more dope.
Hopefully they can turn it around but I am done listening to their promises. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CST