Re: RMAN problems.

From: Eugene Firyago <efiryago_at_bisys.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:56:30 -0500

Alan <alan_psb_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:38E186DE.D9475AC6_at_yahoo.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I got the following script (for RMAN) from the former DBA in my
> company. I don't know anything (or even try) about RMAN and my manager
> want me to test the script. After reading the script, I found that the
> script MAY have problems compare with the book examples (Oracle8 Backup
> & Recovery Handbook):
>
> The script is used to recover the loss of data files (recover the
> tablespace):
>
> run {
> allocate channel dev1 type disk' (1)

                                                             ^ typo

allocate channel dev1 type disk;

> parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=backup)'; (2)
> sql 'alter tablespace tb1 offline immediate'; (3)
> recovert tablespace tb1; (4)
> sql 'alter tablespace users online'; (5)
> }
>
> 1. Should all the statements in the scripts end with ';'? (in statement
> 1, no ;)

Yes, they should ends up by ";" within run {... } statement.

> 2. What is the meaning of line (2)?

That means to use remote Legato Networker backup server (naming "backup" in your case) instead of the local to your Oracle server (by default) one.

> 3. Iit should have one more line before line (4), i.e. restore
> tablespace tb1, am I right?

???

> 4. All the examples I found in the books are end with 'release
> channel..'. What happen if no such statement in the script?

Nothing if they are last in a script. RMAN kills all of them implicity at the end of backup session.

> One more question, could anyone give me hints of determine the
> intervals of synchronization with the target database?

I would recommend to do it at the end of every backup session. It is pretty quick operation in most cases.

> Thanks,
> Alan

I would also recommend to check the syntax of RMAN commands with the Oracle Server8.x Backup and Recovery manual instead of using a "third-party" books.

Eugene. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 08:56:30 CST