Re: HELP: Transfer DB to another machine

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:07:14 GMT

If you are dealing with the same OS, the technique cited is the fastest way to move a database. It will only work for two machines with the same os.

If you are using 8i, there is a new technique to move tablespaces and their contents between instances. Once again, it must be the same OS. I haven't tried it yet, but the documentation seems pretty clear.

If the OS's are different, then you could try exporting the desired objects then importing them on the target. If you have no space or tape issues, export with data then import is the simplest. If you have space/tape issues, export the definitions from the host, import the definitions from the target and then copy the data table by table from the source across your network.

This last is probably the longest process, but uses the least volume of transient resources.

In article <954248164.13638.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Export Import.
> The procedure described below is only valid if there's no platform
swap
> involved.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Cantonese Boy <cantoneseboy_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a question, if they are on different platform(AIX -> NT)
> > How to do it ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > wayne
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >
> > > Diego Pasquale <sincro8_at_micronet.it> wrote in message
Oracle

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 08:07:14 CST