RMAN problems.

From: Alan <alan_psb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:30:22 -0800

Hello all,

    I got the following script (for RMAN) from the former DBA in my company. I don't know anything (or even try) about RMAN and my manager want me to test the script. After reading the script, I found that the script MAY have problems compare with the book examples (Oracle8 Backup & Recovery Handbook):

    The script is used to recover the loss of data files (recover the tablespace):

    run {

        allocate channel dev1 type disk'                    (1)
        parms 'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=backup)';    (2)
        sql 'alter tablespace tb1 offline immediate';    (3)
        recovert tablespace tb1;                                (4)
        sql 'alter tablespace users online';                    (5)
    }
  1. Should all the statements in the scripts end with ';'? (in statement 1, no ;)
  2. What is the meaning of line (2)?
  3. Iit should have one more line before line (4), i.e. restore tablespace tb1, am I right?
  4. All the examples I found in the books are end with 'release channel..'. What happen if no such statement in the script?

    One more question, could anyone give me hints of determine the intervals of synchronization with the target database?

Thanks,
Alan Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 22:30:22 CST