Re: What Indexes are being used?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:04:05 +0800

Bruce Mackay wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've inherited support of a system with many indexes, probably too many
>
> I've looked around without success for a resource to help identify which are
> being used in normal production.
>
> Does anyone know of a likely resource that can help in this situation?
> Helpful information would include number of times an index is 'used' as
> opposed to being updated since ?? (ie. re-starting the instance).
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Bruce Mackay, BMM Pty Ltd

Join X$BH (the buffer cache) to OBJ$

This will tell you what objects are in the buffer cache. Using this you can periodically determine what indexes are in the cache - any index that never appears in the cache is probably a candidate for removal.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse Received on Mon Mar 27 2000 - 07:04:05 CST