Re: sanpshot too old

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:46:01 GMT

In article <Zi9D4.2379$q5.98627_at_news1.rdc2.on.home.com>, "Francis Wong" <wongfrancis_at_home.com> wrote:
> This is the situation. During batch processing, the UNIX shell script
calls
> a Pro*C program to extract data from a remote database and then
insert the
> data into a local table A. Once it is finished(commited), the shell
script
> then calls another one in background(using nohup) to create index for
the
> table A. It then continues running by updating another table. The
program
> uesd to create index return the error 'snapshot too old'. Sine the
server is
> dedicated to run one application and I am sure there is no other
program
> running to update table A at the same time, why will this error
happen?

If there are in fact no other open transactions againt the table then my best guess is you are running into the 1555 due to delayed block clean-out. I am not sure why, and do not think you should be getting an error, but I do not know what else it could be so try performing a select count(*) from A before running the build index script. Also make sure the commit is issued before the build index script is nohup'd.
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Mar 26 2000 - 11:46:01 CST