Re: Oracle V MS-Access

From: RCS <r-stadhe_at_online.no>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:59:28 +0100

Also there is a difference between Access and Oracle concerning network traffic.

Oracle is a true SQL server, while Access is (based upon) a desktop database technology.
The difference lies in that when you ask for a few records from Oracle (from lets say a table with thousands/millions of records), you get only the records you asked for sent to you over the network.

A desktop database, however, sends you the entire table over the network.

I do not know if Access in some way have worked around this (you should find this out),
but if this is the case, you have one more (major) point in favour of Oracle.