Re: What is Oracle thinking

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 23 Mar 2000 10:35:44 -0700

"Jason Kratz" <JasonKratz_at_excite.com> writes:

> Sybase Adaptive Sever comes in 2 versions....Anywhere (formerly SQL
> Anywhere) and Enterprise (formerly SQL Server). Adaptive Server Enterprise
> is just as powerful as MS SQL Server (and of course MS SQL Server is based
> on it....and uses Transact-SQL as does ASE). Anywhere is a smaller product
> on par with Interbase. Full SQL in that one as well.

Anywhere is actually better in many regards. This used to be WatcomSQL and then PowerSoft bought it, and changed the name to SQL Anywhere. It has a very well-proven track record for Java in the database and distributed databases. It was doing what Oracle Parallel Server and ASE 9.2 do, *years* ago. It had a webserver in the database, complete with java in 1997 -- it was easier to use back then than Oracle's WebDB is today.

I kinda wish that Sybase would spin off ASA, because they market it as a "workgroup SQL server" when it is so much more. It really is a joy to work with. Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 11:35:44 CST