Re: Oracle newbie question on database creation

From: Geoff Muldoon <gmuldoon.nospam_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:32:09 GMT

xxu_at_commercialware.com wrote:

> I am an Oracle newbie and had previous experience in SQL Server 7. I
>just managed to install Oracle8i 8.1.5 on Solaris 7 platform. I have
>several questions regarding how to use it:
>1. how to create more databases? write scripts? Where scripts are
>executed? in SQLPlus? With what command? Do I need to modify
>ORACLE_SID or the SID is only used for the starter database?

You are probably looking to create SCHEMAs, rather than database instances (SIDs). A single Oracle instance can hold many schemas, with their own tablespaces if required. Each schema has its own username/password and can grant rights (insert/select/update/delete) to other schemas.

>2. what are the general tools to manage databases in Oracle? Is there
>some tool like SQL Server 7 Enterprise Manager which manages databases,
>user accounts and everything?

Oracle Enterprise Manager comes with the Enterprise version of 8.0.5, not certain about 8.1.5.

Geoff M Received on Wed Mar 22 2000 - 19:32:09 CST