Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: <jahorsch_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:48:00 GMT

In article <38d8c352.19974834_at_news-server>, nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:57:00 GMT, jahorsch_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>

> >An idiot can install and sort of run 2000 where I cant really say the
> >same for SunOS.
>
> That seems to be the major problem with MS products: LOTS of idiots
> installing them...
>
> > Sure Oracle is more tunable and may have more
> >functionality but do you need that.
>
> Yes. Most definitely. Of course, not for storing user's spreadsheet
> data... A little bit more than that. About a few Tb more than that,
> matter of fact.
>
> >hardware has gone. So many people think of SQL Server and think of
> >6.5. Not that 6.5 is the worst engine in the world but the difference
> >is night and day between 6.5 and 2000.
>
> Funny, I remember EXACTLY the same being said about sql server V3 and
> V4, V4 and V5, V5 and V6, etc,etc, ad nauseum.
>
> > You could say the same with
> >Oracle 7.3 and 8i.
>
> Exactly.
>
> >Sybase doent even post TPCC benchmarks anymore nor
> >will Oracle at this rate beacause they cannot compete with MS at the
> >price performance level.
>
> And so what makes you think that is a static siituation?
>
> > I think that IBM is the only one with a
> >chance left because of pricing. Sybase will be gone soon as well as
> >Informix.
> >

> Dunno about Sybase. But as for Informix, you are kidding right? I
> think your rush in dismissing the entire database market just because
> MS decided to give away sql server is a bit misguided, to say the
> least. How are you gonna run sql server on ANY platform that is not
> an MS operating system? What, they don't exist? What, they're gonna
> disappear too? Get real.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
> http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

So you think Oracle will drastically change its pricing or MS will? SQL Server can scale to the TB level. I have done Oracle around 100GB and SQL Server only at 15GB so I am only speaking from what I have read and what I feel the enigine could do with the right hardware. The only reason I say those things about Sybase and Informix is the fact that the market share is going away. Informix is tightly bound to retail and will probably stay around for quite some time. I just dont see them breaking into new projects other than where there is an install base. That will kill them. Their product from what I have seen is not as robust as some of the others in the functionality department. I am by no means an expert on Informix and I am just drawing my own conclusions from what others tell me and what I see. I think more people will start realizing that SQL Server/Windows 2000 is a solution for the Enterprise. The solution will probably be much cheaper than say a Oracle/SUN solution. Wait till the end of this year and look at where 2000 datacenter is at and where SQL 2000 can scale and then we will see who is right. If you can make a project fly at half the cost of another wouldnt you go that route even though it may not be the BEST solution? Have you used SQL 7.0 yet? Seen any of the new posted features for SQL 2000? Read about the Tehma chipset for FOSTER and Itanium? Seen the 8-way TPCC benchmark for SQL 2000? Anyway I think we could go on and on about our differences.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 22 2000 - 10:48:00 CST