Re: No more SID in Oracle 8i?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:32:39 GMT

In 8.1.5, Oracle sets up your tnsnames.ora using service names rather than SIDs. However, our experience has been that other Oracle products don't always work if you use service names so, for the time being, we've mostly gone back to SIDs until all the products catch up with 8i.

Van

<kirk_at_kaybee.org> wrote in message news:8b8flo$ka8$1_at_news-int.gatech.edu...
> Now, the following tnsname.ora seems to work with my machines using
> Oracle 8i (at least it works for sqlplus).
>
> However, if I understand it correctly, the use of the SID is outdated
> with Oracle 8i and maybe things are just running in compatibility mode?
> Maybe this is fine for sqlplus, but maybe this is why my Pro*C program
> is having problems?
>
> Here is my tnsnames.ora:
>

> # TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration

File:/mnt/oracle/OraHome/network/admin/tnsnames.ora