Autoextend didn't work - Have you seen this before?

From: Satar <satar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:17:08 GMT

Hi Fellow Corporate bitc...I mean DBA's,

Our Info:
Oracle 7.3.4
HP-UX 10.20
Baan IVc ERP package

The Situation:

I have enabled autoextend on all our datafiles that relate to our Production data and index tablespaces. We have Baan batch jobs that run on a nightly basis that do inserts, updates and deletes in those Production tablespaces. One night, the tablespace failed to extend causing the batch jobs to fail. This is the first time in this company's history that the tablespace needed more space, so I can't determine if this is going to happen again. It took all of St. Patrick's Day/Night to clean up the mess and I was unable to join my friends to drink some Green Beer...Why did I ever want to be a DBA?

My question is why did this happen?

Here is some info:
Alert Log:
Tue Mar 14 23:46:16 2000
ORA-1654: unable to extend index BAAN.TTFGLD106320$IDX8 by 2397 in tablespace IDXSPACE320

Here's some info on the datafiles relating to Tablespace IDXSPACE320: SVRMGR> select * from sys.filext$ where file# = 13 or file# = 14; FILE# MAXEXTEND INC
---------- ---------- ----------

        14      64000      12800
        13      64000      12800

SVRMGR> select * from dba_data_files where file_id = 13 or file_id = 14; FILE_NAME

 FILE_ID    TABLESPACE_NAME                BYTES      BLOCKS     STATUS
--------
 ---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ----------

/u14/oradata/baan/320idxspace1.dbf
         13 IDXSPACE320                    1048576000     128000
AVAILABLE
/u14/oradata/baan/320idxspace2.dbf
         14 IDXSPACE320                     524288000      64000
AVAILABLE Don't assume disk storage:

mellesdb:/home/oracle:>bdf /u14
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg02/lvol5 10485760 1539703 8386935 16% /u14

Using Oracle Client Software (enterprise manager) I see that the datafiles are on autoextend, but I never trust GUI so I looked into the above views for answers and saw the same information.

I've been to countless customer sites and was employed at two other companies as an Oracle DBA, and I have never encountered this situation before (3.5 years of experience as a DBA on 7.3.4 databases). One thing is for sure, I'll be manually adjusting the tablespaces for space in the future. I still haven't created a test tablespace and populate it to see if it's corresponding datafile will autoextend or not. I just wanted to pass this along to you guys n gals first to see what you think.

Thanks in Advance,
Satar

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
"Opinions are the result of the voices in my head only, and do not reflect my employer or Oracle Corporation."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 21 2000 - 12:17:08 CST