Correct syntax for 'CASE WHEN' clause

From: Bob <Bob.Xinsley_at_catmktg.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:56:55 -0500

I'm getting the following error trying to use a 'CASE WHEN' expression in a SELECT statement.

SQL> select case when contract_coupon_type = 'm'   2 then 'Manufacturer'
  3 else 'Retailer'
  4 end as x
  5 from contract_t;
select case when contract_coupon_type = 'm'

                               *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

I can't find any reference to 'CASE WHEN' in the online Oracle docs. Does Oracle support this? If not, how do I implement equivalent functionality? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Both the table name and column name are valid as:

Select contract_coupon_type from contract_t;

returns valid data.

Thanks,

Bob

Replace 'X' with 'A' to send me mail. Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:56:55 CST