Re: Please Help with coalescing TBSs...

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:09:05 GMT

Sonya,

  The ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE command just coalesces fragmented, adjacent free space. For instance, if the tablespace is fragmented as such:

   table1
   table2
   free
   free
   table2
   free
   table1

and you issue the ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE, then you should get something like:

   table1
   table2
   free
   table2
   free
   table1

Only the two adjacent free space chunks are coalesced into one bigger chunk. Note that tables 1 & 2 are not coalesced. For that, you'll need to do something like EXPORT/IMPORT, or CREATE TABLE AS SELECT.

HTH,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland