Re: Ora-01034 - Instance Will Not Start

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:03:46 GMT

sonya,

The situation is worse than I thought. I have the same problem on both instances that I cloned on two different NT boxes. But that makes sense because I did the same (wrong) thing to both!

Here is what I did:

  1. did a full database export from the origional
  2. also, exported each and every schema of interest (just in case)
  3. created an empty database using script \\ADMIN\instancename\create\Build_db.sql
  4. imported the full db, but it had errors (from step 1)
  5. imported all of the schemas of interest (from step 2) no errors
  6. later imported a new schema - no errors
  7. instance "later" became unresponsive and would not restart

I guess the full import damaged something in the control files and/or the data dictionary. I expect I will need to start over.

Any ideas or comments ?

Also, what good is a full export if using it results in an unstable instance ?

Thanks,
Rock.

In article <8atqgl$prv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, tandym_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> A couple of questions - what method were you using to import the
schema
> into your newest instance? What kind of import errors did you get?
>
> sonya
>
> In article <8arkhf$87b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just spent an hour reading previous postings about Ora-01034, but
> > nothing seems to help.
> >
> > I am running two 8.1.5 instances on NT 4.0 sp4 (maybe that is the
> > problem!). Both worked fine until yesterday, I think. Today I tried
> > import a schema onto the intance that is brand new and it failed
with
> > Ora-01034. I "bounced" the service in the services panel and it
looked
> > like it started, but I still got Ora-01034. I tried the same kind of
> > thing with ORADIM, with the same results. I tried SVRMGRL and tried
> > connect INTERNAL, but it did not know it's password. So I conclude
> that
> > the NT service starts, but the Oracle instance does NOT START.
> >
> > QUESTION: What can I change in INIT.ORA to make Oracle report (in a
> log
> > file?) about why the instance will not start ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rock.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 20 2000 - 09:03:46 CST