Re: Opinion on "expert" DBA

From: Ihaveaquestion <Ihaveaquestion_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:38:43 -0800

I'd have a problem with this for a few reasons:

 The claim to being an expert. (There are always things to learn and knowledge to acquire about Oracle).

 The default settings: The extent sizing isn't quite as brutal as the 50% increase set at default. Ouch.
 An expert not knowing what a temp segment is?

 Hmmmm....an hour of work a day.....where is this place, I'd like to work there :-)
Like someone else posted, even if you aren't putting out fires or trying to prevent them, whatever happened to proactive learning and trying to find ways to make things work better? This person sounds lazy to me (if in fact they only do one hour of work a day).

 No documentation? Maybe that's why they are kept around, cuz no one could come in and figure it out.

 Cache hit ratios in my shop are only a part of what we are required to monitor and report.

 Not telling anyone they are upgrading? Oracle 8 and 8i are not the same thing, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to upgrade. Hmmmm...wonder how snapshots are going to be implemented on 8.1?

 The reason you are even there is an indication that the place is in disarray...having development work being done on a Production machine. Unless it's been approved to be done that way, I would question that .... we don't allow it.
Just my .02 cents

Not trying to judge, but from what you say, alls I can wish you is good luck