Re: TEMP Tablespace question

From: itrade2000ca <itrade2000ca_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:26:43 GMT

For sizing the temporary tablespace, you need to find out what caused the TEMP tablespace size / extent growth. Normally, it was because of SORT AREA SIZE and the poor SQL statement. Since only the SORT AREA SIZE in init<sid>.ora didn't big enough to keep all the sorting data, then it wrap the data to TEMPORARY TABLESPACE because disk sort. Unless it was because of create / rebuild indexes, otherwise, two reason can cause disk sort. First, large volumn data for sorting. Second, poor SQL statement.

So, check the SORT AREA SIZE, then check SQL statement. It's a very common problem of poor SQL statement for a new system.

Finally, after you drop and recreate TEMPORARY tablespace, you need to use ALTER USER to grant the temporary tablespace to all related users again, otherwise, you may get another error message.