Re: Query regarding SQL Query - Limiting Result Set

From: Olga Greep <olga_at_hi.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 00:46:02 +0100

Hi Dave,

If you want the top X records for a certain column First find out if your column can contain equal values (for ‘someperson’) If not, then no problem,

If this can be the case decide what you want to see, Suppose you want the top 3 and number 3 and 4 equal, what do you want with number 4?
The following query would display number 4 as well

Select * from table_name t1
Where t1.name = ‘someperson’
And (X-1) >= (select table_name t2

                        Where t2.record_date > t1.record_date)
And t1.record_date is not null
Order by t1.record_date desc

I admit it looks a bit weird, but try it, it should work. If you feel the need, you can ask me to (try to) explain WHY it works I did not figure this out myself, I found simular questions in my course-book….

Good luck

Olga Greep